A huge platform such as Facebook has to protect itself and its users when it comes to contests and sweepstakes being run on their platform. They don’t want to find themselves in legal battles so for this reason Facebook are very strict about their rules and how things are done on Facebook.
Contest and sweepstakes are without doubt a fantastic way to market your business online but if you want to run a contest or a sweepstake on Facebook, you need to do a bit of homework before hand to make sure you don’t get into trouble.
Below are 11 key points you need to know before starting a contest or sweepstake and also some helpful tips. Familiarize yourself with them to make sure you understand exactly what you need to do when setting up a facebook contest…
- Firstly you cannot run a facebook contest unless you are an admin of a facebook page. So make sure you have your own page set up or that you are allowed full admin access for the page that wants to run the facebook contest. If you do not have admin rights you will not be able to get the facebook contest up and running.
- You must ensure and are responsible for the lawful operation of your contest or sweepstake
- You must state clearly that your contest or sweepstake is not sponsored, endorsed or affiliated with Facebook in any way, shape or form. In fact it’s best to include a statement on the contest page releasing Facebook from anything to do with your contest
- You need to disclose that any information being provided by entrants to be part of the contest or sweepstake is being given to you and not to Facebook
- Your contest must be run through a 3rd party app. This is very important, if you are found to be running a contest directly from Facebook without the use of a 3rd party application they will shut your contest and your fan page down. There are lots of apps to choose from so just do a Google search and pick one with good reviews from previous users
- Facebook has clearly stated you must not use any of the facebook functions such as likes, videos, photos, check-ins, comments or similar features as a way to register or enter the contest. Likewise you cannot get people to share the contest to their friends as a way of entry to the contest. If you do decide to go against Facebooks rules on this your contest will be shut down and maybe your page too.
- Make sure your 3rd party app has mobile capabilities. Over 543 million users are using facebook from their mobile. If you want to reach the most possible amount of people on facebook make sure you have mobile capability available on the 3rd party app that you choose
- Even though you are hosting your contest on facebook it doesn’t mean that you cannot promote it everywhere else on the web too. So send it out on your Twitter, Google plus and even Pinterest accounts, also put it in your email newsletter.
- You will want to send out reminders and incentives that your contest is running in order to maximize participation throughout the duration. But don’t go overboard either and remember to give content and talk about your business along the way too
- Depending on how much time and money you want to spend promoting this contest you could make a facebook ad for it. This will help to get more targeted traffic to your contest and your page. People may be more likely to click on the ad if they know they have a chance of winning something
- When you have a winner for your contest or sweepstake, do not inform the person they have won by using Facebook in any way. Call them, email them or even write them a letter. Just don’t include the use of Facebook
With these things in mind you can start to build your facebook contest in the right way. It is always best to read over Facebooks rules and guidelines that they have in their help center just in case you are unsure of anything.
Enjoy creating your facebook contest!